Skip to main content

Am I right about Martyrs?

I still remember my first utterance of the word – Martyr when I was in my school days. I was told that we had only four martyrs at that time. Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand what a martyr really was. I didn’t know what were those contributions that made them legend. I often used to ponder. While thinking about them what used to bother my unripe sense was the ending of their lives. I had lots of empathy for their pain that they suffered for their offering to the nation. Ironically, now when I am well known about the word, I am again confused. Thus, I thought of reviewing my perception. It turned out to be the necessity because something unusual took place in the mindset of Nepalese people. It occurred when our government decided to declare the dead Tarun Dal leader Shiva Paudel , a new Martyr of the nation.

A martyr always maintains his sky-scraping principle despite the peril of losing life and the possessions. 


I was taught that a martyr is a person who sacrifices his/her life for the welfare of the country. He bears the affliction for holding his head high. He prefers death to luxurious life that his living can offer. A martyr always maintains his sky-scraping principle despite the peril of losing life and the possessions. His belief is his asset. He is a real hero and idol for the common people for ages. He never dies rather his death is commemorated. He grabs the death that makes him a star, and thus everyone wants to pursue the same death. This is his moment. These features label him as a Legend that people hardly forget. This is all I have about a martyr. But what made me surprised was the decision of announcing a jailed man a martyr. This is a slap on the face of law and justice. This portrays the clear picture of dusty politics of country. They have tainted the respectability of martyrs as well. Being a cadre of a political party doesn’t make him/her a martyr. Similarly, enlarging the list of dead cadres doesn’t earn any reputation for those so called political parties no matter what they fight for and how they introduce themselves. The latest example is set by the Nepali Congress that compelled government to cast a bitter and bizarre verdict never seen before.

The happening ended not only me but all the civilians to wonder once again. I am not biased to any political parties hence the question I have raised is the query of the entire nation. I am just articulating the notion. Majority of the people cannot accept this. This could be seen on the wall of many facebookers on Monday. The social networking sites have emerged as large platform for public opinions on any matter of social concern. All Nepalese Fb pages had shown their strong disagreement to the move. Many of them had shared the pictures stating that if he/she dies even at the service of nation, they would not like to be called a martyr. This is really pathetic and shameful to us. Such move cannot produce any positive message to the children and their understanding about our real heroes. Rather it spreads the negative connotation.

Since most of the people discontented with this declaration, I am assured that I had a great schooling and my teacher taught me well about martyrs. But he couldn’t teach me that the definition may vary in upcoming days.

Comments

  1. That's utterly pathetic move by the Nepalese government man. People who died for their country have no value of their deaths as they're compared with some goon dying for their party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really upsetting and dishonor to those who have sacrificed their life for the well-fare of nation and nationality. The dirty politics of the country has also engulfed the heroic and legendary deeds of a true hero. Political parties cadres have more value than our heroes who deserves the respect

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Demonetisation halts Omkar's drive to prosperity

CHANDAN KUMAR MANDAL Dorli (Wardha), Maharashtra: For Mahadev Omkar (36), a resident of Dorli village in Wardha district, farming was not profitable. Like every other farmer in the village, he tried his hand at planting different crops like cotton, pulses and soya bean. Nothing worked, however. Omkar couldn't even collect the investment made in his field.  Deciding to change his profession he bought a car, the only car in his village.  "It was hard to even feed my family by cultivating land. I tried every crop including cash crops. But, I still couldn't make enough money," said Omkar adding, "Changing the profession was my last resort to feed my family." Omkar bought the second hand Maruti Omni for Rs 1.40 lakh out of which Rs 40,000 was loan from the bank.  Omkar's previous experience of working as a truck driver came handy. He operated his newly bought car as a taxi to carry villagers from Dorli to nearby Wardha town. ...

Changing Face of Election Campaign in Nepal

CHANDAN KUMAR MANDAL 1. Title of the study: Changing Face of Election Campaign in Nepal 2. Introduction Over the centuries, several civilizations and countless societies have fought starkly for their rights and freedoms. Several brutal wars have been waged that took centuries of struggle to reach where we are standing now with a number of human rights that were not possible just some decades ago. Human civilization has witnessed an atrocious past where no such rights were given to common people and the human society was ruled by 'atrocity'. One community will easily attack on others to capture their property and people as slaves. For scholars like Hobbes, human societies in the past were 'nasty and brutal'.  Overcoming all these terrible experience, now modern societies are standing firm and tall and enjoy a very pro-people system that is called 'Democracy'. Now, the present world is given with a very liberal political system, which provides them w...

Inspiration within the pages

Lucknow Boy: A Memoir by Vinod Mehta I used to be an avid fiction reader but of late, my interests have sort of shifted. These days I find myself more interested in exploring the various facets of our real society rather than the ideal world that fiction often tends to take us to. So speaking about motivational books, I just have to mention Vinod Mehta’s memoir. Vinod Mehta, journalist, founder editor-in-chief of Outlook magazine, and author of several books, presents his life through a candid and scandalous account in this autobiography. Being affiliated with media myself, I found this to be incredibly inspiring. The book contains so many interesting anecdotes. The reader gets a genuine behind the scenes access of how South Asian media works. He isn’t afraid to take us to the dark corners and talk about the shady businesses either. In between it all, he continuously addresses the questions about integrity of the reporters as well as our duty towards the public. It has really he...